Straighten Your Teen’s Teeth Discreetly With Invisalign Teen™
If you’re a teenager or a parent of a teen considering orthodontic treatment, you may be curious about your options. Invisalign Teen has become an increasingly sought-after alternative to traditional metal braces, offering a more discreet and comfortable approach to teeth straightening.
DiBartola Dental is ready to help you or your teen achieve the perfect smile! Contact our dentist in Bridgeville today to learn more about Invisalign for teens and to schedule your Invisalign treatment consultation.
What Is Invisalign Teen?
Invisalign Teen is a clear aligner system designed to straighten teeth without the need for traditional metal braces. The Invisalign aligners are made of a clear, smooth plastic material that’s virtually invisible when worn, making them a popular choice for teens who may be self-conscious about their appearance.
Invisalign for Teens Process
The orthodontic treatment process begins with a consultation with your local Invisalign provider. During this consultation, they’ll evaluate the teen’s teeth and determine if Invisalign is the best treatment option.
If Invisalign Teen is a good fit for their oral health needs, we’ll get started on your treatment plan. The clear removable aligners are created using 3D computer imaging technology that maps out the complete treatment plan, from the initial position of the teeth to the final desired position. This allows patients to see their treatment plan and the anticipated results even before starting their orthodontic journey.
The clear aligners must be worn for at least 22 hours per day. However, they should be removed for eating, drinking (anything but water), and brushing and flossing your teeth.
What Does Invisalign Teen Correct?
Depending on the severity of the orthodontic issue, Invisalign for teens can correct the following:
- Tooth Crowding: This is when there isn’t enough space in the jaw for all the teeth to fit normally. Invisalign can gently move teeth into proper alignment to reduce crowding.
- Tooth Gaps: If there are gaps between teeth due to missing teeth or just simply too much space within the jaw, Invisalign can help close these spaces.
- Overbite: This is when the upper teeth bite over the lower teeth. This is often due to genetics, bad oral habits, or overdevelopment of the bone that supports the teeth.
- Underbite: This occurs when the lower teeth protrude past the front teeth. It’s usually caused by undergrowth of the upper jaw, overgrowth of the lower jaw, or both. It can also be caused by missing upper teeth.
- Crossbite: When the upper and lower jaws are both misaligned, it causes one or more upper teeth to bite on the inside of the lower teeth, on either the front and/or the sides of the mouth.
- Open Bite: This occurs when some teeth are unable to make physical contact with the opposing teeth for a proper bite.
Pros vs. Cons of Invisalign Teen
As with any treatment option, Invisalign for teens has its pros and cons.
- Invisalign clear aligners are virtually invisible, making them a popular choice for teens who may be self-conscious about their appearance.
- The Invisalign trays are removable, making it easier to eat, brush, and floss compared to traditional braces.
- Treatment time may be shorter than with traditional braces.
- Invisalign aligners have no metal brackets or wires, meaning less discomfort and irritation.
- The clear aligners must be worn for at least 22 hours per day, which can be a challenge for some teens.
- Not all orthodontic issues can be corrected with Invisalign Teen.
- Invisalign clear aligners may be more expensive than traditional braces.
Caring for Clear Aligners
Proper care and maintenance of clear aligners are crucial to the success of the treatment. It’s also necessary to ensure good oral hygiene. Here are some key care tips for your clear aligners:
- Cleaning the Aligners: The aligners should be cleaned every day to remove bacteria and prevent discoloration. Rinse them under lukewarm (never hot) water, and use a soft toothbrush with clear, gentle soap. Avoid colored or scented soaps, which could discolor the aligners. Invisalign also sells cleaning systems specifically designed for their aligners.
- Storing the Aligners: When the aligners aren’t in use, they should be stored in the provided case to prevent damage or misplacement. It’s advised never to wrap the aligners in a napkin during meals, as they can be accidentally thrown away.
- Handling the Aligners: Aligners should be removed and replaced using steady, gentle force. Biting them into place may damage them. If the aligners are tight or difficult to remove, it can help to start from the molars and gently work toward the front of the mouth.
- Scheduled Changes: It’s crucial to follow the orthodontist’s plan for changing the aligners. Typically, this is every 1 to 2 weeks. Wearing each set of aligners for the appropriate amount of time ensures the teeth move at the proper pace.
- Regular Check-Ups: Regular visits to the orthodontist (usually every 4 to 6 weeks) are necessary to monitor progress and ensure that the treatment is on track. These appointments also provide an opportunity to raise any concerns or issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I still play sports while wearing Invisalign Teen?
Yes, you can still participate in sports and physical activities while wearing Invisalign Teen. The aligners are designed to be comfortable and won’t interfere with most activities. However, it’s recommended that a mouthguard be worn during contact sports to protect both the teeth and the aligners.
Can I switch to Invisalign Teen from traditional braces?
Yes, it’s possible to switch to Invisalign Teen from traditional braces. Your teen’s dentist can evaluate their case and determine whether Invisalign Teen is a suitable option. Depending on the stage of treatment, your teen may need to start over with a new set of aligners or continue where they left off with a new treatment plan.
Discover Invisalign for Teens Today!
We understand the emotional and social impact that crooked teeth can have on a teenager’s confidence and self-esteem. If you’re a teen or a parent of a teen looking to transform your beautiful smile and boost your confidence, call our dental office today.
Our experienced team is ready to help you achieve the smile you’ve always dreamed of. Don’t let crooked teeth hold you back any longer — take action and schedule your consultation with our Bridgeville dentist today.