Invisalign® for Overbites
Correct Overbites With Invisalign®
Overbites are a common dental issue where the upper front teeth overlap with the lower front teeth. While many people may have a slight overbite, severe cases can lead to dental health problems such as jaw pain, difficulty speaking, and tooth decay. Fortunately, advancements in orthodontic technology have made it easier than ever to correct an overbite. Invisalign®, a popular clear aligner treatment, has helped many patients achieve a healthier and more beautiful smile.
Bridgeville Invisalign provider, Dr. Wayne DiBartola at DiBartola Dental, is here to help you treat your overbite and give you the smile of your dreams. Call us today at (412) 221-9440.
What Are Overbites?
Overbites, or buck teeth, are dental conditions where the upper front teeth overlap the lower teeth excessively. In some cases, overbites may be so severe that the lower teeth are entirely hidden behind the upper teeth. Overbites can be caused by various factors, such as genetics, thumb sucking, and tongue thrusting.
Overbites can cause several dental problems, including:
- Speech difficulties
- Difficulty chewing and biting
- Jaw pain and discomfort
- Teeth grinding
- Wear and tear on teeth
There are two types of overbites:
- Vertical Overbites: The upper teeth overlap the bottom teeth vertically.
- Horizontal Overbites: This refers to the condition when the upper teeth protrude forward over the lower teeth.
How Can Invisalign Correct an Overbite?
Invisalign is a clear aligner system that helps straighten teeth and correct bite issues, such as overbites. The clear aligners gradually shift teeth into their proper position over time, correcting overbites and other alignment issues.
However, those with a severe overbite may require more traditional treatment, such as traditional metal braces.
Aligners Gradually Shift Teeth
Invisalign aligners work by gradually shifting the teeth into the correct position. Each set of aligners is slightly different and customized to the individual’s teeth. The aligners apply gentle pressure to the teeth to move them into the desired position, effectively correcting overbites.
Aligners Are Designed for a Perfect Fit
Our Seattle dentist can adjust the aligners as needed to ensure a perfect fit. This ensures that the teeth are moving in the desired direction and at the right pace for the overbite correction. This personalized treatment approach ensures that patients get the best possible results from their Invisalign treatment.
Clear Aligners Are Discreet
Invisalign aligners are clear and virtually invisible. This makes them a great option for those who are self-conscious about wearing traditional braces. Patients who opt for Invisalign can correct their overbite without anyone noticing, making it an excellent choice for adults who may feel embarrassed about wearing braces.
What Happens If You Don’t Treat an Overbite?
An untreated overbite can lead to several problems, including:
- Tooth Wear and Damage: The misalignment can cause abnormal wear and tear on the teeth. The upper front teeth can bite into the lower gums, and the lower teeth can hit the roof of the mouth, leading to increased tooth wear, damage, or even tooth loss.
- Speech Problems: An overbite can interfere with proper speech, leading to problems such as a lisp.
- Jaw Pain and TMJ Disorders: Over time, an untreated overbite can cause the jaw muscles to work harder to bring the teeth together, leading to jaw pain, headaches, temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD or TMJ), and even changes in the facial structure.
- Breathing Issues: A severe overbite can lead to breathing issues, including sleep apnea, resulting in a variety of health problems.
- Digestive Problems: Overbites can also affect your ability to chew food properly, which can lead to digestive issues.
- Self-Esteem Issues: Beyond the physical problems, an untreated overbite can affect a person’s self-esteem and confidence due to appearance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will Invisalign make my overbite worse before it gets better?
No, Invisalign won’t make your overbite worse before it gets better. Invisalign is designed to gradually shift your teeth into the correct position, which improves your overbite over time. However, patients may experience some slight discomfort when switching to a new set of aligners. Discomfort is typically mild and subsides within a few days.
Can Invisalign correct an overbite in children?
Yes, Invisalign can correct an overbite in children. However, it’s recommended that children wait until all of their permanent teeth have grown in before starting Invisalign treatment. In some cases, early intervention may be necessary to prevent the overbite from getting worse.
Can Invisalign treat both overbites and underbites?
Yes, Invisalign can treat both overbites and underbites. Invisalign aligners are designed to apply gentle, consistent pressure to gradually shift your teeth into the correct position. This makes them an effective treatment option for a variety of bite issues.
Can Invisalign be used to fix an overbite caused by thumb sucking?
Yes, Invisalign can help fix an overbite caused by thumb sucking. Thumb sucking can cause the front teeth to protrude, leading to an overbite. Invisalign aligners can help gradually shift the teeth back into the correct position, which can help improve the overbite.
Say Goodbye to Your Dental Overbite
Your smile is one of the first things people notice about you, and it’s never too late to make a change. Take the first step towards a more confident you by scheduling a consultation with our team today. We are here to help you achieve the smile you deserve.