Say Goodbye to Tooth Decay
With ceramic fillings, also known as porcelain inlays and onlays, dentists can repair damaged or decayed teeth. They offer several advantages over traditional amalgam or composite fillings, including aesthetic appeal, durability, and biocompatibility.
To schedule an appointment at DiBartola Dental, contact our Bridgeville dentist today by calling (412) 221-9440.
What Are Ceramic Fillings?
Ceramic fillings, also known as ceramic inlays or onlays, are dental restorations used to repair teeth damaged by decay or trauma. These dental fillings are made from biocompatible ceramic materials and are customized to match the natural color and shape of your teeth.
Ceramic fillings are often recommended for:
- Small to moderate-sized cavities.
- Patients seeking a more natural appearance.
- Those with metal allergies or sensitivities.
Types of Ceramic Materials
- Porcelain: Commonly used for ceramic fillings due to its strength and aesthetics.
- Zirconia: Known for its exceptional durability and biocompatibility.
Benefits of Ceramic Fillings
Ceramic fillings provide numerous benefits, including:
- Aesthetic Appeal: Ceramic fillings blend seamlessly with natural teeth.
- Durability: They’re highly resistant to wear and fracture.
- Biocompatibility: Ceramic is well-tolerated by the body.
- Minimally Invasive: Requires less removal of healthy tooth structure compared to amalgam.
The Ceramic Filling Procedure
Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
Your dentist will assess the extent of tooth damage and discuss treatment options, including ceramic fillings.
The damaged tooth is prepared by removing decayed and weakened areas while preserving healthy tooth structure.
Impression and Temporary Filling
An impression is taken to create a customized ceramic filling. A temporary filling may be placed to protect the tooth while the permanent restoration is created.
The ceramic filling is fabricated in a dental laboratory to precise specifications, including color and shape.
Bonding and Cementation
Once the custom filling is ready, patients will return for their next appointment. The custom ceramic filling is then bonded to the prepared tooth using dental cement, ensuring a secure fit and beautiful look.
Ceramic Fillings vs. Other Filling Materials
Ceramic vs. Silver Amalgam Fillings
- Aesthetics: Ceramic fillings have a more natural appearance than amalgam, which uses metals.
- Durability: Ceramic is more durable and less prone to expansion/contraction.
- Biocompatibility: Ceramic is metal-free and biocompatible compared to amalgam.
Ceramic vs. Composite Resin Fillings
- Aesthetics: Both offer good aesthetics, but ceramics may be more stain-resistant.
- Durability: Ceramics are generally stronger and longer-lasting.
- Tooth Preparation: Less tooth removal is required for composite fillings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can ceramic fillings stain?
Ceramic fillings are highly stain-resistant, but it’s advisable to avoid excessive consumption of stain-causing substances like coffee and red wine.
Are ceramic fillings suitable for front teeth?
Yes, ceramic fillings are an excellent choice for front teeth due to their natural appearance.
How long do ceramic fillings last?
On average, ceramic porcelain fillings last about 10 to 15 years, but some can last much longer with proper care and regular dental visits.
Contact Our Bridgeville Dental Team Today!
Ready to get your oral health back on track? At DiBartola Dental, our Bridgeville dentist offers dental fillings to ensure you can stop cavities in their tracks. Contact our dental office today by calling (412) 221-9440 for an appointment.